Sunday, June 28, 2009

They're Mini!

As summer has progressed, my schedule has become increasingly full, and as a result, I've been looking for the quick meal ideas. I have technically stuck to the rules of veganism, but I've allowed my diet to become a little mundane - peanut butter sandwiches and organic corn chips with guacamole have been on the menu more than once since the beginning of June.

So last week I decided that enough was enough and I braved three new dishes. And since I love all things mini, I decided that I'd try mini cabbages, AKA Brussels sprouts . I've always been afraid of Brussels sprouts because I've imagined them to be like giant squishy peas or something. But then I read somewhere that they were more like cabbage, which I do like if prepared properly. So I thought, "hey, why not?" I found a recipe for maple Brussels sprouts with pecans and carrots, and went to town.

This recipe uses pure maple syrup, sliced carrot rounds, chopped pecans, and, of course, Brussels sprouts cut in half. Plus some salt and pepper to taste. I thought that anything with the sweetness of maple syrup would be fantastic...unfortunately I actually gagged in the middle of my first bite. Something about the texture of the Brussels sprouts just didn't work for me. Maybe I cooked them too long, because I found them to be a little softer than I had expected, like when you cook broccoli too long.

Since becoming a vegan I have learned to tolerate varied vegetable textures a little more because, as you know, when you eat out you have enough to worry about just trying to find something that you'll eat, let alone trying to be picky about how it's cooked. And if these sprouts had been tastier, I may have been able to bypass the gag. But the flavor was just a little sprout-strong. As leftovers I've found that I can eat them as long as I cut them with rice or couscous, but if I make them again I will definitely be following a different recipe.

I got to thinking, though, if Brussels sprouts have to be doctored so much just to make them not taste like poo, are they really worth eating as a health food?

Enter Google.

Firstly, Brussels sprouts are not in season - in fact, they're about the opposite of in season right now. Good to know. One sympathy point for Brussels sprouts.

Secondly, they are super high in vitamins K and C. So high, in fact, that if you ate one serving you'd be good to go on these vitamins for almost 3 and 2 days respectively. One healthy point for Brussels sprouts.

Now the biggies...these little mini cabbages help ward off cancer in a billion different ways. Plus they promote skin health, boost the immune system, provide tons of cardiovascular benefits, and protect against birth defects and rheumatoid arthritis. (Check out WHFoods for details.)

Whew! I'm not even going to rack up all those points. Brussels sprouts win.

So, I suppose I'll give them another shot (remember how fabulously open minded I am). I'll just keep looking for recipes that better enhance the flavor of these little guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment