Monday, May 18, 2009

Lentils and Super Sauce

The first time I had lentils a few weeks ago, I was less than excited about discovering yet another new and exciting bean on my vegan quest. I had boiled them with sweet potatoes and onions.

Ew.

I wasn't really excited about trying lentils again, but because I'm all open minded now, I decided to give them another chance. Good thing I did. This time I had them with brown rice. Soooooo much better. I think that since boiled sweet potatoes are a little mushy, I thought the lentils had been mushy, too. But they're actually more of the texture of the rice. This, however, isn't the reason for this blog.

I discovered a tasty, healthy sauce to put on veggies! I'm no chef, so maybe this isn't all that original, but regardless, it's really good:

I used olive oil, soy sauce, white vinegar, and natural peanut butter (just crushed up nuts and salt). I didn't do any measurements, so you'll just have to start with a little of everything and keep adding to taste. Now, depending on how strict you are wanting to be about being organic and how much sodium you ingest, this may not be for you. But it was extremely delicious and, best of all, different. I don't know if it works on all veggies, but I strongly recommend it for lentils.

No comments:

Post a Comment